Welcome

It is a pleasure to welcome you to my personal site, http://iamnikkireed.blogspot.com/. As we enter a new age of technology, communication and access to information, I think it is important for young actors and actresses like myself to have their own site. I decided that I want to create and maintain my own professional web page to give people insight to my creative outlets and interests.

Stay tuned, as over the coming weeks the site will evolve, including more information about me, my work and the various charities and organizations with whom I am affiliated.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Can I outgrow more than just the bed I slept in, or the room I lived in? Can I outgrow the entire town?

When I was 7 my mom moved my brother and me to Ruma Illinois. The sign that leads you into the town says:
We stayed for only a year, but I continue to go back almost every summer for at least a couple of days.  Everything about me stood out to the locals. I was outspoken, opinionated, and used to a city that was culturally diverse and the complete opposite of this new place in almost every way. Regardless, I made some of the strongest bonds imaginable, which amidst obvious differences gave true meaning to the word friendship.
Back in Ruma Yesterday, I walked up the stairs that led to a bedroom I shared every summer with my best friend when we were kids. I do this every time I visit, just to make sure its still there, in her parents’ house, right where I left it. Nothing ever changes in that room. It’s still filled with an old corkboard that has every memory pegged into it. I opened the door and said to my friends mom, “oh you remodeled the room, its smaller!” she said, “no I didn’t, you’re just bigger!”
Sometimes I sit and think about how small I am on this planet, what my place is, and how I can be more than just a figure floating through. It’s my favorite pass time. My brother and I do that a lot; we somehow find ourselves wrapped up in these intense discussions about all kinds of nonsense. I think its very age appropriate.  In fact, I hear a lot of young people sit and have endless “philosophical” discussions about theories they are discovering or revelations that seem so fascinating in the moment. I know what you are thinking but yes, all this can be done without the use of any substances.
I remember driving down the rock road that leads to my friend’s house when I was 7 or 8 years old. I always thought I was somehow related to “Mowgli”, and I was living in my own jungle book. That’s probably just because I watched that movie 3 times a week until I was 12 years old.  My imagination was so free at that age that I wasn’t even aware of the universe I was creating in the woods flying by me. It just existed. That’s the beauty of being a kid; things can just exist. From fantasies, to invisible friends to opinions, it all can just exist. You question nothing yet you question everything, but time is not wasted on being critical or judgemental. Think about how much more creative we would be as adults if we stopped expending so much energy on criticism! Anyways, driving down that road reminded me of how small and free I felt then, and how important it is to still see our place on this planet for what it is. That in itself is liberating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogs

One and Only ♥

Culver City, California, United States
My name is Nicole Elizabeth Reed, daughter of Seth Willian Reed and Cheryl Maria Houston. I'm the middle child of two brothers. Nathan August Reed and Joey Austin Reed. I was born in West Los Angeles, though I was raised in Culver City, Venice and Mar Vista. Although I'm an actress, I never wanted to be, I would have been satisfied just doing hair. When I was a little girl I wanted to help animals I knew that I wanted that. And I do. I volunteer at many pet shelters and if I fall in love with them. I usually take them home with me. I love animals. I have 3 dogs & a horse. I use to always go horseback riding when I was young. I have 4 tattoos and 16 piercings.

Filmography

In Production: Catch 44 2011
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2011
Privileged
2010
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
2010
Chain Letter
2010
The Twilight Saga: New Moon
2009
Last Day of Summer
2009
Twilight
2008
Familiar Strangers
2008
Cherry Crush
2007
“Justice” (1 episode)
2006
Mini’s First Time
2006
“The O.C.” (6 episodes)
2006
American Gun
2005
Lords of Dogtown
2005
Man of God
2005
Thirteen
2003


Producer

Last Day of Summer
2009
Director

Sage’s Music Video for “Edie”
2009




Writer

Thirteen
2003

Awards and Nominations

2010 Young Hollywood Awards Won: Superstar in the Making
2009 Teen Choice Awards Nominated: Choice Movie Fresh Face in Twilight
2008 DelRay Beach Film Festival Won: Best Ensemble Cast in Familiar Strangers
2008 Method Fest Won: Best Ensemble Cast in Familiar Strangers
2006 Solstice Film Festival Won: Best Actress in Mini’s First Time
2005 Phoenix Critics Film Society Nominated: Best Breakout Performance Behind the Camera
2005 Phoenix Critics Film Society Nominated: Best Original Screenplay
2005 Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Nominated: Best Original Screenplay
2004 Satellite Awards Nominated: Best Screenplay for Thirteen
2004 Satellite Awards Nominated: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture Drama in Thirteen
2004 Prism Awards Nominated: Performance in a Theatrical Feature Film in Thirteen
2004 Independent Spirit Awards Nominated: Best First Screenplay for Thirteen
2004 Independent Spirit Awards Won: Best Debut Performance in Thirteen
2003 Nantucket Film Festival Won: Best Feature Screenplay for Thirteen
2003 Young Hollywood Awards Won: One to Watch for Thirteen